Dear KIPP Texas Families,
Today’s note contains some very important information on school in-person restart as well as two action items, one for you to complete by September 28 and the other by October 2. Before I dive into that update, I am excited to celebrate and recognize Latinx Heritage Month.
Latinx Heritage Month kicked off September 15 and goes through October 15. Throughout the month, we will highlight the contributions of historical Latinx education leaders, as well as our own Latinx staff, students, and alumni. Is your family doing something special to celebrate? Please contact Noah Siegler so the marketing/communications team can feature your celebration.
It’s Time Again to Choose: In-Person or Virtual Learning
We continue to work tirelessly to prepare for the phased-in return of our KIPPsters’ in-person learning, between October 13-19. We will continue to offer a virtual learning environment for those families who choose it; however, we are required by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to offer an in-person option as well, and we have heard from many families who want and need this option.
All KIPP Texas families must complete a survey for each one of their children who attend a KIPP Texas school for the next nine-weeks of school. The deadline to complete the Method of Learning survey in SchoolMint is September 28. Here are your Method of Learning options:
- Option 1: 100% online learning, five days a week. This would continue virtual learning for students for the second nine week instructional cycle if parents opt into this method.
- Option 2: 100% in-person learning five days a week in a classroom in a school building on our campus (please note, high school students may be part of a hybrid model–more details will come from your child’s school leader if this pertains to them).
- Families who do not make a choice for their child’s Method of Learning by September 28, will be placed in option one–100% online learning. Parents may inform us of any changes in their survey until October 5, so we can plan accordingly.
In-Person School Update
If you select in-person learning for your student as part of the Method of Learning survey, here is what you need to know:
- We will phase-in students, bringing back a few grades starting on October 13. All grades will offer an in-person option by October 19, the start of the second nine-week grading period.
- If you select in-person learning for your child, you will receive communication from your child’s school that will provide you the detailed information as to what day your child will phase back into the classroom in school buildings.
- Safety and security is our lead guiding principle. In the resources below, you’ll find an overview and detailed information of our our plans so Big and Little KIPPsters alike will have a safe start:
We will update these resources with additional protocols, such as contact tracing, once they are finalized.
Grab & Go Meals
Although the majority of our KIPPsters are still participating in remote learning, we want to remind families that breakfast and lunch are available to all KIPP students daily. Our distribution services run Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at all campuses. Please take 2 minutes to fill out this Curbside Meal Survey so we can know how to serve you better by October 2nd.
Meals are free to enrolled students of established KIPP Texas schools. Students attending our new schools — KIPP Mosaic Primary, KIPP Mosaic Academy, KIPP Paseo Primary, KIPP Paseo Preparatory, or KIPP East End High School — must complete a meal application to qualify for free or reduced meals (visit https://family.titank12.com/ to complete an application). You can also see what’s being served by visiting our Curbside Grab & Go webpage which features menus along with campus locations, distribution times, and safety measures.
As always, thank you for your continued partnership, grace and collaboration to make this a great school year. If you have questions, please reach out directly to your KIPPster’s school.