By Jaciel Castro, Enrollment Manager at KIPP Texas – San Antonio
As a parent, there are hundreds of decisions you make for your child as they grow throughout the years. One of the most important decisions you will make is choosing the right school for your child. With all of the options out there, it can be challenging to narrow down the best options. Transferring or starting school for the first time can be daunting. Each school offers different programs and services, and each child’s needs are unique.
It is important to ask yourself what do you envision for your child’s pre K-12 education? Do you want your child in a place that fosters their creativity? Or one that specializes in certain interest areas like STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) or the arts? We believe that the best way to find the right school for your child is to ask lots of questions, visit classrooms in the school, and talk with teachers and school leaders to make sure you have gathered all the information you need to make an informed decision. Below are some questions to consider as you move forward:
- What would your ideal school offer? Dream big! You know your child best, so imagining the ideal learning environment for them is a great place to start.
- Are there particular extracurricular programs available that you want your child to experience? If your child loves sports or dance, learning what programs a school offers is important to understand to determine if a school will be the right fit.
- Do you want a school or campus that can accommodate many grade levels at once? Some schools offer pre-K-12th grade with several schools on the same campus which can be convenient if you have children in multiple grade levels.
- Do you need before or after school care? Some schools offer before and after school care for an additional fee. Ask the person conducting your tour about options at the school.
- Does the school offer parent education classes or parent associations? Not only will your child be a part of this school community, you will too! It is good to learn the ways parents can get engaged and involved in the school.
- What academic results did the school produce last year? Visiting www.TXSchools.gov is a great place to do online research on a particular school’s academic progress each year. Coming armed with this information is a good starting point to have a conversation with school staff.
- How far is the school from your work or home? In addition to your child getting to school on time, it is also important to consider how you will get to the school for parent-teacher conferences or if your child gets sick. Some schools provide special transportation options, so you should ask if they offer those services.
- How will your school handle your child if they require special needs? If your child has special needs, talk to the school about the special education programs they offer and how they can accommodate your child.
KEEP IN MIND
We believe KIPP Texas Public Schools is a wonderful place where many students can thrive, learn, and grow, but we also know the decision of choosing a school is a very personal choice. If you are interested in your child attending KIPP Texas, all students will need to apply unless they currently attend a KIPP Texas school. Students currently attending KIPP Texas Public School will get an automatic spot the following year at the same school or their zoned school.
Even if your child did not attend pre-kindergarten, they can attend kindergarten at any public school. The best way to learn about a school is by submitting an application then coming to an open house at your zoned school.
Learn more about enrolling your child at KIPP: https://kipptexas.org/enroll