March 17, 2020
Dear KIPP Texas-San Antonio Families,
We thank you for your patience and support during this unprecedented time in our country’s history as we all navigate the effects of COVID-19. Our first priority is to keep our KIPPsters and staff safe. We will continue to align to the needs of our communities where we educate our KIPPsters. As a result of insight from local and state officials, KIPP Texas-San Antonio will continue to close our school buildings and office buildings and are now scheduled to return to school on Monday, April 6. However, during that time we will continue to provide distance learning and food service Monday-Friday for our KIPPsters. We are simultaneously planning for the possibility that we are out of school for more time. We continue to be in daily contact with the Texas Education Agency, local and state health agencies, and other local officials to get insight and updates. We will follow ALL guidelines and do everything it takes to keep our students and staff safe. We will keep you updated as we learn more.
While our school campuses are closed, KIPP Texas is doing everything possible to ensure education continues with distance learning and that your student continues to receive the breakfast and lunch they would otherwise have if they were on our campus.
There are three actions you need to to take within the next 24 hours to get the technology you need, meals for your children, and the printed packet of school work from your child’s teacher needed THIS WEEK for your student:
- We want to ensure each student has the technology available to do school work from home. We have created a technology survey for our families, and it is critical that you complete one survey for EACH STUDENT WHO ATTENDS A KIPP TEXAS SCHOOL. Please complete this no later than the end of the day on Wednesday, March 18.
- KIPP Texas Public Schools, in collaboration with the Texas Department of Agriculture, will prepare and distribute Grab & Go meals for children under the age of 19 while school buildings are closed due to COVID-19 precautions.Families can pick up meals starting tomorrow, March 18th.Curbside Grab & Go meals will be available for pick up Monday – Friday at the KIPP Cevallos Campus between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., while supplies last. Grab & Go meals will be provided for each child in each vehicle. Meals will be cold, packaged together, ready to heat, and provided based on the pick-up schedule at specific campuses. Children must be present to receive the meals. Unfortunately, meals are not available for adults. The healthy meals served will include protein, grains, fruits, vegetables, and milk or juice. As well, KIPP Texas will continue to follow safety protocols such as all faculty washing hands for 20 seconds, faculty wearing gloves when dispersing meals, and as much as possible, following social distance recommendations.You will not need to leave your vehicle to pick up meals. Please follow this map and the directions. You will drive up to the curbside service, lower ONE window, pre-packaged meals will be passed to you based on the number of children in the vehicle. Once you have the meals, you are asked to leave the campus immediately as a health and safety precaution.
KIPP Cevallos Campus 239 Stark Street, San Antonio, TX 78204
Distribution Times: 10am – 1pm
Start Date: Weds, March 18
Meals Provided: Breakfast, Lunch
- On WEDNESDAY, March 18, we will provide educational packets for each grade level so we can continue lessons at home. Here’s how it will work:
- Starting WEDNESDAY, March 18, from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. you will travel to the KIPP Texas-San Antonio campus closest to your home. Your students do not need to attend that particular KIPP campus but can pick up grade level appropriate packets as long as they are a KIPPster.
- When you arrive on campus, stay in your vehicle, roll down ONE window and fill out a quick survey on your student and grade level.
- Pass the survey back to the attendant.
- The attendant will hand you packets for every student and every grade level in your family and instructions from your student’s teacher on next steps.
- There will be a make-up day for packet pick up on Thursday, March 19 from 3:30p-5:00p.
- More details concerning online learning will be sent soon.
We recognize this is a multi-step process and thank you for your patience as we navigate the Texas Education Agency, Texas Department of Agriculture, and Center for Disease Control guidelines. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your school directly.
Thank you for your support!
KIPP Texas-San Antonio