Little KIPPsters will be on winter break from Friday, December 22, to Monday, January 8, and return to school on Tuesday, January 9. Whether you’re traveling or planning to stay home this holiday season, we encourage all our KIPPsters to continue reading and engaging in fun learning opportunities! Check out these fun and simple ways to embrace learning opportunities during winter break.
Make good use of travel time.
If you’re traveling this holiday season, one way to pass the time is to get your KIPPster engaged in a fun learning activity. Visit your favorite store for academic workbooks and other printable resources you can bring along for the ride. You can find free online educational resources here:
Take a field trip.
While on break, you can find time to visit new places and prioritize learning. Explore the local community through visits to museums, historical sites, and science centers, allowing your child to embark on a fascinating educational journey without leaving town. Here are some local museums by location:
- Austin: Thinkery
- Dallas: Perot Museum of Natural Science
- Houston: Children’s Museum Houston
- San Antonio: San Antonio DoSeum
Read whenever possible.
One of your field trips during the holiday break can be to the local library or bookstore, where you can spend a few hours exploring different genres of books. Once your KIPPster selects a book, read with them and ask questions about the characters and plot to help them engage further. Learn more about the library programming in your city at:
Practice makes perfect.
While on winter break, students have access to the same online learning platforms they can access in the classroom (Imagine Math, Lexia, No Red Ink, Winward Academy, etc.). Many of these programs provide practice opportunities for students based on the skills they have yet to master. To access our online learning platforms during the winter break, students can log into Clever and select the program they wish to work on:
- URL: https://clever.com/in/kipptexas
- Username: the student’s KIPP Texas email address (Example: email@example.com)
- Password: your student’s Google password
- Note: If your student is in grades PK-5 and your school has sent home their Clever badge (QR code), they can log into Clever using their Clever Badge and the laptop camera.
KIPP TEXAS RECOMMENDED READING LISTS:
- Baloney and Friends by Greg Pizzoli
- Black is a Rainbow Color by Ekua Holmes
- I Am a Bird by Hope Lim
- Jo Jo Makoons: The-Used-to-Be Best Friend
- The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
- The Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell
- Front Desk by Kelly Yang
- Knights vs. Dinosaurs by Matt Phelan
- All Summer Long by Hope Larson
- Aman Unbound by Aisha Saeed
- Ashes to Asheville by Sara Dooley
- Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows by Ryan Calejo
- Black Boy by Richard Wright
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- Kindred: The Graphic Novel Adaptation by Octavia Butler
- One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
Explore new interests.
During the break, there is plenty of time to focus on what interests you and your KIPPster. Try exploring new hobbies or learning a new craft during this time. For example, involve your child in cooking and baking activities in the kitchen, transforming meal preparation into a math and science lesson.
Winter break doesn’t mean that learning has to stop. By incorporating some of these strategies and activities, KIPPster and their families can ensure that this break is enjoyable and a time of growth and exploration. At KIPP Texas, our commitment to learning extends year-round, and we hope these suggestions inspire you to make the most of your winter break. It’s an opportunity to savor learning while enjoying the holiday season. Happy learning and happy holidays!